Water Infrastructure Digital Twin Benefits
A new approach to turn digital water data into improved decisions and optimize water infrastructure performance; building tomorrow’s resilience. Infrastructure digital twins enable water and wastewater utilities to better understand and manage their wet infrastructure assets, reduce their life cycle costs, optimize their performance and life span, increase revenue and improve service.
Access accurate and complete information in real-time.
By leveraging a water infrastructure digital twin, your organization can better understand and manage your assets, lower risks, reduce life cycle costs, optimize asset performance and life span, increase revenue, and improve service levels.
Our cognitive digital twin provides you a complete and accurate picture of your water infrastructure in a high-fidelity operations dashboard, allowing your staff to clearly see and better understand what’s happening and what’s scheduled to happen, predict, plan and prepare for future events, and assess the impact of proposed schemes. It also automates many mundane, time consuming and repetitive manual operations tasks and enhances their accuracy.
This powerful platform has many applications across the water infrastructure lifecycle and offers significant potential business benefits. The low-hanging fruit is optimized operations and maintenance, and improved customer service. It can be effectively used to instantly detect and isolate deficiencies, perform diagnostics and troubleshoot, predict outcomes and determine corrective actions to a much higher degree of accuracy and establish ideal maintenance schedules. It can also help you reduce the cost and risk of both unplanned asset downtime and scheduled but unnecessary maintenance procedures, develop adaptive master planning and capital improvements, increase efficiency, reduce lifecycle costs, optimize infrastructure use and resiliency, and ultimately better serve customers. These capabilities advance proactive management and allow water utilities of all sizes to permanently reduce production, maintenance, emergency and operational costs and conserve both water and energy. This in turn helps you achieve better financial ratings, lower financing costs and generate new income to offset revenue shortfalls, eliminating the need to raise rates. Lower costs and increased revenues translate into larger working funds (cash flow).
You now have the power to transform operations and maintenance with actionable insights that drive improved business decisions and operational excellence.
Build a Resilient Infrastructure
With continuous access to near real-time network information, digital twins extend the connected data environment to your entire enterprise by supporting multiple levels of information exchange. As a result, your organization is better enabled to monitor, predict, and react to disruptions or emergencies.
Gain complete control over infrastructure operations
- Have a 360-degree, high-resolution view of how (above and below ground) infrastructure assets are currently operating.
- Mirror and accurately simulate the operation of assets, their surrounding environment, and how they interact in real-time. Confidently “experiment with the future” and test out a wide range of “what-if?” scenarios, view, and compare outcomes — without disrupting daily operations.
- Solve water-energy nexus challenges.
- Quickly spot and isolate deficiencies and mitigate consequences.
- Precisely monitor asset health (condition) and performance to minimize asset deterioration and extend the life of network assets.
- Boost worker productivity (facilitate migration from specialists to generalists).
Digital twins provide a 360-degree, high-resolution view of all infrastructure information. This view helps your organization perform diagnostics, build models, conduct predictive and prescriptive analytics, test and evaluate scenarios, and generate actionable insights in real-time for critical and efficient decision making.
Improve response times & customer satisfaction levels
- Respond faster with accurate forward visibility based on better information, which drives better outcomes.
- Lessen duration and disruption of maintenance and repairs.
- Foresee and pre-empt future network failures (e.g., locate growing leaks before pipes break) and prepare for and respond to emergencies.
- Mitigate sewer overflows.
- Enhance the quality of service (uninterrupted, high quality water).
- Understand water usage patterns to support pricing and demand management.
- Predict and manage extreme weather events and support climate change initiatives.
Lower Total Life Cycle Costs
Like many utilities, your organization may be facing tight municipal budgets, increased service demands, and multiple data sources that lack interoperability, resulting in inefficiencies and skyrocketing costs. Using a digital twin and data intelligence, your organization can optimize performance, improve service levels, and reduce capital infrastructure funding gaps at the lowest total life cycle cost.
Lower operating costs & increase revenue
- Decrease the cost and risk of both unplanned asset downtime and scheduled, but necessary, maintenance.
- Reduce leaks and breaks.
- Identify opportunities to drive operational efficiencies as they happen.
- Maximize business efficiency and ROI.
- Better forecast future demand.
- Reduce energy use and carbon emissions.
- Lower Totex (Capex and Opex).